Crestwood In PIAA Class 2A Field Hockey Semifinals

Crestwood headed to the PIAA Class 2A semifinals after defeating Greenwood 3-1 in overtime last Saturday, November 14. Crestwood’s 19-0 Lady Comets’ determination and skillful athleticism has been the mark of their undefeated season and Saturday’s tilt was kept their state title hopes alive and very much within reach.

Crestwood was scheduled to take on Twin Valley (25-2) on Tuesday, November 17 in the state semifinals.

Central Columbia High School was the scene of the Lady Comets latest triumph, coming on very dramatic fashion after a tough defensive effort by both teams. Greenwood allowed the Big Red Machine only eight shots in the game while Crestwood held Greenwood to a meager three.

But the Lady Comets got a scare with only eight minutes remaining when a Greenwood shot few past a Crestwood defender hitting the cage. Since no one had touched the shot, the officials called it back. Game rules state all scores must be converted from inside the circle.

With their state title hopes on the line, Lizzy Dessoye seized an opportunity to lift her team to victory. At the 40-yard line line, Dessoye took a pass the length of the field, breezing past defenders for a chance for a one-on-one strike. Dessoye got past Greenwood’s Mallory Fortenbaught and goalie Nicole Willi who missed a chance to kick the ball. Dessoye’s goal into the empty net lief Crestwood to a 1-0 win and their opportunity to play in the semifinals.

Keeper Marlee Dillon had three for the Lady Comets.

Crestwood made its way into the quarterfinals against Greenwood with a 3-2 win over Manheim Catholic in the first round of the PIAA Class 2A tournament on November 10 at Nesbitt Field in Kingston.

Dessoye opened the scoring at 18:05 in the first half, scoring unassisted for the Lady Comets.

Manheim Catholic’s Leah Hoffman responded to tie the score at 1-1 to end the first half.

Crestwood’s Hannah Ackers added the Lady Comets second goal, assisted by Cara Jarmiolowsi, at 9:17. Jordan Olenginski scored Crestwood’s third and final goal of the contest at 15:21 to seal the win.

Crestwood out shot Manheim Catholic, 11-8.

Marlee Dillon had six saves for the winners.